Following Assistant Headteacher, Marc Batten’s first visit to Nabugabo Community Learning Centre, NCLC, in 2012, Bassaleg School pupils have taken the school to their hearts. Fundraising has raised over £8000 to date through a number of different activities:
- Cake sales
- Sponsored individual events
- Summer concerts
- Sponsored form group marathon
- Zumba sessions
- Sweet stall at the school fete
- Donation of profits made from Team Enterprise activities
- Sales of HUGE charity Christmas cards.
Projects Bassaleg have supported
Pupils at Bassaleg school receive regular updates in assembly on progress at NCLC, where they can see for themselves the difference the money they have raised is making to the lives of the children and those in the community at Nabugabo. Some of the projects we have helped to fund are:
- The building of a three pot stove in the new brick kitchen building (a huge improvement on the wooden shack kitchen with a one pot stove).
- Kitting out the food storage room with lockable cupboards to enable posha, rice and beans to be bought in bulk and stored safely away from rodents.
- Converting a store room to a library for all year groups
- Funding porridge for a year to enable the pupils to have breakfast when they arrive in school, so that they enjoy two meals a day.